Go to Contents Go to Navigation

No. of S. Korean forces to Afghanistan to be under 400: official

All Headlines 11:06 November 26, 2009

By Sam Kim

SEOUL, Nov. 26 (Yonhap) -- The number of South Korean troops and security personnel to be deployed to Afghanistan will remain under 400, a defense ministry spokesman said Thursday.

"The size will not go beyond 400," Won Tae-jae, spokesman for the Ministry of National Defense, told reporters. A government source told Yonhap earlier in the day the number will likely be between 300-400.

South Korea plans to send troops to protect a group of civilians working in the Central Asian country where the U.S. is fighting an insurgency.

The Seoul government said last week after a weeklong fact-finding mission that it is considering setting up a camp for soldiers and civilian workers in a northern Afghan province.

samkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!