Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Two civilians found dead on S. Korean island bombed by N. Korea

All Headlines 16:53 November 24, 2010

INCHEON, Nov. 24 (Yonhap) -- Two civilians were found dead Wednesday on a front-line South Korean island devastated by a North Korean artillery attack, the first civilian deaths recorded from the bombing, the coast guard said.

Marines found the bodies at a construction site on Yeonpyeong Island, the coast guard said.

Their identities could not be immediately confirmed.

Their deaths brought the number of victims in Tuesday's attack to four, including two marines. Eighteen others, including three civilians, were wounded.

On Tuesday, North Korea fired about 170 rounds of artillery, with 80 of them landing on the island and the others in nearby waters, according to South Korea's defense ministry.

The South returned fire, shooting about 80 rounds toward coastal artillery bases in the North.

The attack marked the first time North Korea has shelled South Korean soil and civilian areas since the 1950-53 Korean War. Pyongyang's provocations had so far been limited to maritime skirmishes or gunfights across their heavily armed border.
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!