Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Disease control agency says tick-borne virus kills four South Koreans

All Headlines 13:46 June 03, 2013

SEOUL, June 3 (Yonhap) -- A deadly tick-borne virus has killed four South Koreans and sickened two others, the state-run disease control agency said Monday.

The severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome virus killed a 63-year-old woman in the country's eastern region in August last year, though her infection of the virus was confirmed last month, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).

It was the country's first death caused by the virus, the KCDC said.

Last month, the virus also killed three other South Koreans -- a 73-year-old man and an 82-year-old woman, both in the country's southern resort island of Jeju, and a 74-year-old woman in the southeastern region, according to the KCDC.

The virus, which causes high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, multiple organ failure and other blood-related problems, also sickened two other elderly people.

The two patients have been treated at hospitals for the tick-borne disease, though it remains unclear whether they can recover, said Lee Dong-woo, chief medical research officer at the KCDC. He declined to give any details on the two patients.

entropy@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!