Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Military indicts soldier for deadly shooting spree

All Headlines 16:18 August 01, 2014

SEOUL, Aug. 1 (Yonhap) -- The military prosecution on Friday indicted a sergeant who went on a deadly shooting spree in June with physical detention on charges of murder and defection, Army officers said.

The 22-year-old Army sergeant, surnamed Lim, fired at his comrades at a border outpost on the east coast on June 21, killing five and wounding seven others. Bullying was found to be the motive for the rampage.

He then ran away from the 22nd Infantry Unit with his gun and a stash of ammunition. Two days later, he was captured while being under siege by thousands of troops right after a botched suicide attempt.

"The prosecution of the Army's 8th Corps. indicted Lim today on charges of murder, killing his superior officer, and deserting the Army," an Army officer said, asking not to be named.

South Korea's military law stipulates that a soldier faces capital punishment for killing a superior officer. One of the fallen soldiers was a staff sergeant in Lim's unit.

One of the suspect's superior officers, surnamed Kang, was also indicted Friday for fleeing his barracks while his subordinates were confronting the shooter, which prevented them from arming themselves. Kang had been in charge of managing firearms and ammunition and thus held the key to the armory.

"We will sternly deal with the case to bring all those responsible for this tragic incident to justice," the Army officer added.

graceoh@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!