Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea to get proactive in cyber warfare

All Headlines 17:40 October 08, 2014

SEOUL, Oct. 8 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has decided to drop its long-held defensive tactics in cyber warfare and instead initiate proactive operations to better guard against enemies' online infiltrations, sources said Wednesday.

The shift comes as the country has experienced a growing number of cyber attacks in recent months. A total of 1,202 attempts to hack into military-related websites were detected for the first nine months of this year, up 595 cases from a year earlier.

"The military had focused on monitoring-based operations to deter enemies' hacking attempts, but now we will proactively detect hosts of such attacks online and launch preemptive strikes to prevent them from victimizing us from the outset," said a military source, asking not to be named.

In order to strengthen the cyber command, the defense ministry plans to nurture 400 more agents with expertise in this field to bring their total number to 1,000.

It also outlined diverse ways on how to strengthen its capabilities of protecting local networks so as to effectively carry out cyber warfare, including setting up a task force in charge of conducting war exercises.

"We will also expand the scope of our operations further into mobile and various online-based equipment," another source said, noting that such plans were presented to the parliamentary defense committee earlier in the day.

The cyber command under the Ministry of National Defense was created in 2010 to counter hacking attempts, mostly by North Korea, in light of growing security threats in cyberspace.

graceoh@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!