Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Hanwha Eagles say talks with outfielder Felix Pie broke down

All Headlines 16:53 December 08, 2014

SEOUL, Dec. 8 (Yonhap) -- South Korean baseball club Hanwha Eagles said Monday their contract negotiations with outfielder Felix Pie have broken down and they will begin searching for a new foreign bat for next season.

The Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) club said they couldn't meet Pie's salary demands. Pie, former Major League Baseball (MLB) player, made US$250,000 in 2014, his first KBO season.

In 119 games as the team's mainstay in center field, Pie batted .326 with 17 home runs and 92 RBIs. He also endeared himself to the fans with some eccentric routines on the field and charitable donations off the field.

The Eagles, who finished last for the third straight season this year, had earlier parted ways with their two foreign pitchers, Andrew Albers and Ryan Tatusko. They had intended to bring back Pie before the talks fell through.

The announcement came just hours after Pie wrote on his Instagram, "I'm on my way; I'm back #pienation," along with three pictures of himself in Hanwha uniform.

The Eagles last week signed two new pitchers, Shane Youman and Mitch Talbot, and now need one position player to fill up their foreign player quota for 2015. Teams in the KBO can each have three players from overseas and at least one must be a position player.

The Eagles said they have a list of candidates to take Pie's place in the lineup and will also look at other players.

jeeho@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!