Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Deal marks N. Korea's 1st expression of regret: unification minister

All Headlines 17:04 August 25, 2015

CHEONAN, South Korea, Aug. 25 (Yonhap) -- Unification Minister Hong Yong-pyo said Tuesday that an inter-Korean deal struck earlier in the day marks the first time that North Korea had expressed regret over its provocations.

In the agreement, the North "expressed regret" over the recent injury of South Korean soldiers in the explosion of land mines laid by North Korea in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas.

"It is the first time that the North offered an apology and expressed regret after using the subject of North Korea (in its statement)," Hong said at the ruling Saenuri Party's workshop.

"The biggest strength that led to this meaningful agreement was that the people stayed together," Hong said.

The South also technically secured the North's promise not to repeat such an attack, putting a clause into the deal that it will resume loudspeaker propaganda broadcasts along the DMZ if an "abnormal case" occurs.

"When North Korea did not show responsibility or demanded something unfair during the course of the dialogue and the negotiation, I mostly used a phrase that said 'the people are watching,'" Hong said.

khj@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!