Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Seoul mayor files compensation suit over son's draft-dodging rumors

All Headlines 16:18 March 02, 2016

SEOUL, March 2 (Yonhap) -- Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon filed a lawsuit against seven people who were convicted last month of spreading false draft-dodging rumors about his son, Park's legal representatives said Wednesday.

Park filed the suit against Yang Seung-oh, a renowned radiologist, and six others with the Seoul Central District Court, seeking a maximum of 100 million won (US$81,000) in compensation, a group comprised of Park's lawyers and supporters said in a press conference held in Seoul.

The legal action came a few weeks after the same court ordered Yang and the others to pay fines, ranging from 7 million won to 15 million won, for attempting to prevent Park from winning the 2014 local election by spreading false rumors that Park's son Ju-sin evaded mandatory military service.

The mayor's legal representatives also accused a local online newspaper for reporting false facts without confirming their authenticity and said they would file a separate suit if the company does not delete the related reports by next Friday.

"We are planning to take further actions against former lawmaker Kang Yong-seok who constantly casts doubts on Park's son," the group said.

In South Korea, all able-bodied men must serve in the military for about two years since the country technically remains at war with North Korea after the 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice, not a peace treaty.

scaaet@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!