Go to Contents Go to Navigation

UNSC to announce additional items banned from entering N.K.

All Headlines 16:26 April 06, 2016

SEOUL, April 6 (Yonhap) -- The U.N. Security Council will soon designate additional items to be banned from entering North Korea as part of measures to strengthen its sanctions against the communist regime, a government official said Wednesday.

The U.N.'s North Korea sanctions committee submitted a list of items to the Security Council on Monday in line with Resolution 2270, which punishes Pyongyang for its fourth nuclear test in January and long-range rocket launch in February, according to the official.

Under the resolution adopted last month, the committee is required to report the additional goods to the council within 15 days of the resolution's adoption.

"The list will soon be released as a council document and published on the U.N.'s website," the official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

The list is expected to include items that could be used for the North's development of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons as well as missiles.

The items were originally listed in an annex to the resolution but put aside for further discussion due to opposition from Russia, one of the five veto-wielding permanent members of the council.

hague@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!