Go to Contents Go to Navigation

U.S. STRATCOM confirms failure of N. Korea's IRBM test

All News 02:34 June 01, 2016

WASHINGTON, May 31 (Yonhap) -- The U.S. Strategic Command confirmed Tuesday that North Korea's latest test of an intermediate-range ballistic missile failed, saying the attempted launch did not pose a threat to North America.

It was the North's fourth test of the Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missile believed to be capable of reaching the U.S. territory of Guam. Officials in South Korea said the missile is believed to have exploded on a mobile launcher as soon as the fire button was pressed.

"U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) systems detected what we assess was a failed North Korean intermediate-range ballistic missile launch at 3:30 p.m. CDT May 30, 2016 from Wonsan" on the east coast, Army Lt. Col. Martin O'Donnell, a command spokesman, said.

"The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) determined the missile launch from North Korea did not pose a threat to North America," O'Donnell said. "The men and women of USSTRATCOM, NORAD and U.S. Northern Command, and U.S. Pacific Command remain vigilant in the face of North Korean provocations and are fully committed to working closely with our Republic of Korea and Japanese allies to maintain security."

The North first test-fired the Musudan missile on April 15 and two more on April 28, but all either exploded in mid-air or crashed seconds after launch. The North has deployed about 50 Musudan missiles with its forces since 2007, but none of them had been test-fired until this year.

jschang@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!