Go to Contents Go to Navigation

N.K. expands work-hard campaign across the country: report

All News 09:44 June 06, 2016

SEOUL, June 6 (Yonhap) -- North Korea is moving to expand its second work-hard campaign launched this year as it pushes for more growth, state-run media reported Monday.

Pyongyang has kicked off its "200-day campaign of loyalty" this month as part of its five-year economic development plan, unveiled by at the rare ruling Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) congress in early May.

The drive comes on the heels of a 70-day work-hard drive that began earlier this year ahead of the key party gathering that helped solidify North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's hold on power. Kim took power in late 2011, upon the sudden death of his father, and was named the chairman of the WPK.

Korean Central Television said that mass rallies supporting the latest work drive were held in North Pyongan, Kangwon and North Hamgyong provinces over the weekend. Such events aimed at getting people to support the campaign, first took place in Pyongyang, the capital city, and were followed by South Pyongan, South Hwanghae, Jagang, South Hamgyong provinces last week.

"Officials of the local party, power and economic organs, working people's organizations, industrial establishments, farms and universities, working people and youths and students were present at the latest meeting," the state-run media outlet said.

It said participants made reports and followed this with speeches of enthusiasm for the new work-drive.

The latest campaign is expected to run through mid-December and comes as the North finds itself growing more isolated from the rest of the world as it comes under stronger international sanctions.

The United Nations slapped its toughest sanctions yet against the country following its fourth nuclear test in January and long-range missile launch the following month.

yonngong@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!