Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea resumes Chinese fishing boat crackdown in neutral waters: military

All News 10:41 June 14, 2016

SEOUL, June 14 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's military resumed its crackdown operation against Chinese fishing boats operating in neutral waters in the estuary of the Han River between South and North Korea on Tuesday, the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.

"Several Chinese fishing boats entered the Han River estuary area during the night and (the military) restarted its operation this morning to drive them away," a JCS official said.

As the operation kicked off earlier in the day, the Chinese boats retreated to the North Korea-controlled side of the neutral waters where they could not be followed, he said.

The morning crackdown is a continuation of South Korea's joint operation with the United Nations Command they launched last Friday to kick out Chinese boats fishing without permission in the tense border area.

A growing number of Chinese fishing boats had been intruding into the military buffer zone as the blue crab season get underway. The mouth of the Han River is also a largely-untouched fishing ground.

Under the authorization of the UNC, which has regulated the neutral waters since the 1953 inter-Korean armistice, South Korea deployed a 24-person team of four patrol craft to eject the Chinese boats during the first operation.

pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!