Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korean man indicted for trying to enter N. Korea

All Headlines 12:00 July 20, 2016

SEOUL, July 20 (Yonhap) -- A 54-year-old South Korean man has been indicted on charges of attempting to enter North Korea in violation of the country's security law, prosecutors said Wednesday.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office said the suspect, whose identity was withheld, allegedly left for China in September 2013 and sought support from Uriminzokkiri, Pyongyang's main internet-based media and propaganda website, to enter the North.

He is also suspected of seeking similar support from the North Korean Embassy in China in October 2013, although the embassy turned him down, prosecutors said.

The 54-year-old, who has been claiming that the 2012 presidential election was rigged, allegedly told the North Korean media outlet that he wants to "introduce the details of the irregularities committed during the 18th presidential election through Pyongyang's broadcaster," according to prosecutors.

Under the National Security Act, South Korean citizens are prohibited from contacting North Koreans without government approval or engaging in activities benefiting the North.

Prosecutors said the defendant has refused to make further statements since he appointed a lawyer, though he had previously submitted a written statement while undergoing a police investigation in June.

scaaet@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!