Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Gov't to launch probe on unidentified gas odor in Busan, Ulsan

All News 15:48 July 26, 2016

SEOUL, July 26 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's government on Tuesday said it will launch an investigation to identify the source of gas odor reported in the cities of Busan and Ulsan last week.

The Ministry of Public Safety and Security decided to form a joint investigation team during an emergency meeting held at the government complex in Seoul. The meeting was attended by related government organizations, including the environment ministry, the weather service, the national police agency and civilian experts in the field.

On Thursday, more than 200 reports were filed in the southeastern port city of Busan with people complaining about some sort of gas smell. On Saturday, dozens reported a similar smell in the neighboring city of Ulsan.

Residents in the area have been expressing concerns as the authorities failed to promptly identify the source of the odor.

"We have already touched on rumors that the gas could be a sign of an earthquake, but we thought there is a need to clarify that it is not true," said Kim Hee-kyeum, a ministry official in charge of disaster management.

He also said no harmful chemicals have been leaked but added the government will continue its inspection until it can guarantee the safety of its citizens.

scaaet@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!