Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea confirms 2nd cholera infection

All Headlines 10:50 August 25, 2016

CHANGWON, South Korea, Aug. 25 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has confirmed an additional case of cholera, raising the number of people infected with the water-born disease here to two, local health authorities said Thursday.

A 73-year-old woman residing in the southern coast of the country is presumed to have contracted the disease from eating seafood, the South Gyeongsang Provincial Government said, adding that she had already been cured.

The provincial government said she had no contact with the patient of the first infection case.

Earlier this week, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced the first case of the disease with a 59-year-old man in the southern city of Gwangju.

Inspections are currently under way at a local restaurant the woman visited, the provincial government said, suspecting the cholera bacteria may have been in imported seafood.

The diarrheal disease, which is curable with proper medication and treatment, affects 3 million to 5 million people annually and claims more than 100,000 lives throughout the world.

khj@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!