Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea's protest against N. Korea forwarded to UNSC

All Headlines 11:28 August 27, 2016

SEOUL, Aug. 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has conveyed a statement condemning North Korea's reported resumption of plutonium production activity to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), government sources said Saturday.

The government recently forwarded the Foreign Ministry's statement on the issue to the council and asked it to share the message with all of its members, according to the sources.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) revealed in a report earlier this month that it has detected multiple indications of North Korea having resumed work to reprocess spent fuel at a radiochemical laboratory in its main Yongbyon nuclear complex.

The signs, shown after the first quarter of this year, disappeared in early July, though, added the IAEA.

South Korea's Foreign Ministry immediately expressed "grave concern."

Pyongyang's moves constitute a clear violation of UNSC resolutions and "threaten international peace and security and the non-proliferation regime," the ministry's spokesman said in the statement.

The South's request for the U.N. council to circulate the statement is intended to remind the international community of the seriousness of the North's nuclear program, the sources said.

It's also aimed at rallying UNSC support behind government's efforts to put further pressure on North Korea over its continuing military provocations and nuclear weapons programs.

The U.N. panel is in the process of adopting a press statement to condemn North Korea's launch of a submarine-launched ballistic missile on Aug. 24 in defiance of its existing resolutions.

pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!