Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Yonhap News Summary

All Headlines 13:30 August 29, 2016

The following is the first summary of major stories moved by Yonhap News Agency on Monday.

-----------------
(2nd LD) State prosecutors raid company run by presidential aide's wife

SEOUL -- State prosecutors on Monday raided a real estate company, run by the wife of a presidential aide, and a branch of the Seoul police as part of their probe into a corruption and info leak scandal involving the presidential secretary and a special inspector who investigated him.

The prosecutors raided the office of the firm in southern Seoul and confiscated computer hard disks and various documents as they accelerated their investigation into Woo Byung-woo, senior presidential secretary for civil affairs.

-----------------
(LEAD) Park orders military to maintain full readiness against N.K. provocations

SEOUL -- President Park Geun-hye on Monday ordered her military to maintain a full readiness posture to ensure that any North Korean provocation will lead to the "self-destruction" of the communist regime.

During a meeting with her senior secretaries, the commander-in-chief also instructed her government to craft "effective" measures against the North's evolving nuclear and missile capabilities.

-----------------
(LEAD) N.K. renames youth league as it seeks to beef up internal solidarity

SEOUL -- North Korea has renamed a major youth association founded by the country's late founder, the North's state media said Monday, a move seen aimed at strengthening internal solidarity.

North Korea announced that the Kim Il Sung Socialist Youth League was renamed the Kimilsungist-Kimjongilist Youth League in accordance with the decision made at a youth congress.

-----------------
(2nd LD) Ruling party hawks call for nuclear subs to counter N.K. SLBM

SEOUL -- A group of lawmakers from South Korea's ruling Saenuri Party said Monday the country should consider building nuclear-powered submarines, amid escalating provocations by Pyongyang.

The remark came as North Korea on Wednesday test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) in waters off its east coast. The South Korean military said the missile flew about 500 kilometers toward Japan, making the longest flight by such a missile launched by the communist country.

-----------------
N. Korea still at least two years away from SLBM deployment: U.S. expert

WASHINGTON -- Despite last week's successful test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM), North Korea appears to be still at least two years away from possible deployment of the weapon, a U.S. expert said.

The North conducted the latest in a series of SLBM test-firings Wednesday, sending the missile some 500 kilometers over the East Sea, the greatest distance the communist nation has achieved since it began SLBM tests last year.

-----------------
Volkswagen not to take legal step against sales ban in S. Korea

SEOUL -- Volkswagen Korea, the local unit of German automaker Volkswagen, said Monday that it would not take legal action against the South Korean government's decision to ban sales and revoke the certifications of its 80 vehicle models.

Earlier this month, the Ministry of Environment also separately slapped the German automaker with fines of 17.8 billion won (US$16 million) for 47 models that are thought to have passed the local authentication process by cheating on gas emissions tests.

-----------------
Olympic golf champ Park In-bee to miss LPGA major with injury

SEOUL -- The reigning Olympic women's golf champion Park In-bee said Monday she will sit out the final major of the LPGA Tour season with a nagging thumb injury.

Park appeared at a press conference in Seoul with her left thumb in a cast, and said it will stay that way for three weeks -- which has ruled her out of the Sept. 15-18 Evian Championship in Evian-les-Bains, France.

-----------------
S. Korea excavates remains of 320 Korean War dead in H1

SEOUL -- South Korea's defense ministry said Monday it excavated the remains of 320 soldiers killed during the Korean War in the first half, with six of them identified and returned home to their families.

In the excavation that ended early this month, the government sent the remains of 36 Chinese soldiers back to their home country in March and sent the remains of two American soldiers back to the U.S. in exchange for the remains of 15 Korean soldiers in April, the ministry said in a statement.

-----------------
S. Korean Embassy in China warns against possible N. Korea terror attacks, abduction

SEOUL -- The South Korean Embassy in Beijing has warned South Koreans in China about possible terrorist attacks or abduction attempts by North Korea in the wake of the recent defection of a senior diplomat, sources said Monday.

The embassy urged South Korean residents and travelers in China to refrain from visiting the North Korea-China border areas or coming in contact with North Koreans in a message recently conveyed to South Korean expatriate groups and other associated organizations in China, according to the sources.

-----------------
Woman indicted for allegedly making false rape accusation against JYJ's Park

SEOUL -- Prosecutors on Monday said they have indicted a woman who filed a sexual assault complaint against singer-actor Park Yu-chun, who was mired in a series of similar allegations, on charges of false accusation and attempted blackmail.

The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office said the defendant, identified only by her surname Lee, is suspected of asking Park for money after having sex with him, threatening to go public with false claims that Park raped her.
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!