SEOUL, Aug. 29 (Yonhap) -- More than nine out of every 10 victims of industrial accidents came from subcontractors last year, a lawmaker said Monday, suggesting that workers from smaller firms are exposed to more dangers than their peers from large contracting companies.
Over the past five years, the country's top 30 businesses reported 209 industrial accidents at their workplaces, killing a total of 245 workers, according to Rep. Moon Jin-kook of the ruling Saenuri Party.
However, out of those killed, only 33, or 13.5 percent, were workers from the top 30 firms, while the other 212, or 86.5 percent, were employees of subcontracting firms who were only working at the site of the accidents on dispatch, Moon said, citing a report from the Ministry of Employment and Labor.
In 2015, the ratio of victims from subcontracted firms reached 94.7 percent, or 36 out of the total 38.
"Workers continue to get hurt and killed at their workplaces today, but large firms continue to source out their work, along with their responsibilities, to smaller firms," the lawmaker said.
(U20 World Cup) S. Korea going for historic title vs. Ukraine
(U20 World Cup) S. Korea's Lee Kang-in wins Golden Ball as tournament MVP
BTS dazzles 25,000 fans in Busan
(LEAD) Moon suggests trust-based denuclearization, peace
Thousands of S. Koreans ask gov't to approve their trip to Mount Kumgang