Go to Contents Go to Navigation

State agency to examine suitability of Samsung's Note 7 recall

All Headlines 19:30 September 02, 2016

SEJONG, Sept. 2 (Yonhap) -- A state technology agency on Thursday asked Samsung Electronics Co. to submit a formal plan on its global recall of its popular Galaxy Note 7 phablet phones.

Earlier in the day, Samsung made a public apology for the battery problem that has been linked to some of its smartphones catching fire while charging. It said a global replacement program will be launched to fix the defective devices.

The Korea Agency for Technology and Standards under the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy said it asked Samsung to write down why it has decided to recall the phablets and exactly how it will carry out this task. The world's largest smartphone manufacturer has 10 days to submit its findings after it first noticed the problem.

Before Samsung's announcement, the agency received a report from the company on the incident and examined whether the product actually had a problem.

Samsung said its service centers in South Korea and across the world reported 35 phones with battery issues. This, it said, translates into 24 faulty batteries for 1 million devices sold so far.

If a written plan is submitted, the agency will form an advisory panel of experts to determine if the proper measure was taken to address the problem.

A source said if a shortcoming in Samsung's plan is found, the agency can order remedial measures.

"Regardless of Samsung's recall plan, we're going to see if the countermeasures are sufficient," an official with the agency said requesting not to be named.

sshim@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!