Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea warns North's missile launch will bring more sanctions

All Headlines 17:08 September 05, 2016

SEOUL, Sept. 5 (Yonhap) -- South Korea condemned North Korea's ballistic missile launches on Monday, warning that such military provocations would only result in more international sanctions.

North Korea launched three ballistic missiles around noon earlier in the day in its latest military provocations. The missiles flew about 1,000 km before landing in waters near Japan.

"North Korea's ballistic missile launches today are a blatant violation of United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions," the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement. "The launches constitute an act of grave provocation that show North Korea's nuclear and missile development poses actual threats to neighboring countries, the international community as well as to Korean Peninsula, and the government strongly condemns them."

The leaders of G-20 countries also expressed concerns over North Korea's nuclear and missile threats, the ministry said.

The ministry warned that "North Korea would get nothing from such provocations and they will only strengthen South Korea and the international community's zero-tolerance policy on North Korea's nuclear arsenal and determination for sanctions and pressure on the country."

The South Korean government will take necessary steps with the UNSC in response to the missile launches and maintain thorough combat readiness, it also noted.

pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!