Go to Contents Go to Navigation

(LEAD) S. Korea calls N. Korea's nuke test intolerable provocation

All Headlines 13:58 September 09, 2016

(ATTN: ADDS photo, details throughout)

SEOUL, Sept. 9 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean government on Friday said the latest nuclear test conducted by Pyongyang is a "grave provocation," adding it strongly condemns the move.

"North Korea conducted the fifth nuclear test in Punggye-ri, North Hamgyong Province," National Security Adviser Cho Tae-yong said.

Earlier in the day, a magnitude 5 earthquake was detected near North Korea's nuclear site in the country's northeastern region, indicating the communist regime conducted its fifth nuclear test.

The artificial quake was detected at around 9:30 a.m., and the military is currently analyzing related details.

In January, North Korea conducted its fourth nuclear test after its previous tests in 2006, 2009 and 2013.

National Security Adviser Cho Tae-yong speaks at the presidential office in Seoul on Sept. 9, 2016 (Yonhap)

"Pyongyang has been making dangerous provocations, and has only focused on developing nuclear weapons and missiles. They must realize they will get nothing from such efforts," Cho said, adding North Korea will face further international sanctions, as well as isolation.

The South Korean government also warned that North Korea will face more economic troubles.

"We sternly warn North Korea to immediately give up its nuclear and missile programs completely and irrevocably in a transparent manner," Cho added.

The official also said the government will prepare thoroughly against North Korea's provocations to protect its people.

colin@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!