Go to Contents Go to Navigation

(3rd LD) Typhoon Chaba claims 4 lives in southern S. Korea

All Headlines 21:46 October 05, 2016

(ATTN: RECASTS throughout with updates; CORRECTS number of deaths; CHANGES photo)

SEOUL, Oct. 5 (Yonhap) -- Typhoon Chaba approached South Korea with heavy rainstorms Wednesday, killing at least four people in the southern part of the country, the safety ministry said.

Four people have been reported dead as of 6 p.m., according to the Ministry of Public Safety and Security, with another three people missing in the southern cities of Busan, Ulsan, as well as on the country's resort island of Jeju.

Power went out at around 227,000 houses in the typhoon-hit region, but 82 percent of them have been restored so far, according to the Korea Electric Power Corporation.

A total of 120 flights across the country were canceled, along with the suspension of major domestic and international sea routes, according to the ministry. The country's high-speed KTX trains were also affected by strong winds and downpours.

Industry players also saw damage from the typhoon, with two factories of South Korea's top automaker Hyundai Motor Co. in Ulsan, 410 kilometers southeast of Seoul, suspending operations for hours due to flooding.

Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering Co., a major shipyard, also suspended operations on the southern island of Geoje due to a blackout caused by the typhoon, but was normalized at around 5:15 p.m.

The Busan International Film Festival, which is set to kick off on Thursday, is expected to face problems as the typhoon destroyed some of its venue sites, its organizers said.

Typhoon Chaba, packing winds of up to 56.5 meters per second in some areas, is set to head towards Japan through the East Sea.

President Park Geun-hye ordered the country's cabinet to promptly restore the damaged areas, presidential spokesman Jeong Yeon-guk said.

The government said it will start gathering reports on damage on public and private facilities starting Thursday and establish a detailed restoration plan by the end of this month.

A street in South Korea's southeastern port city of Busan is completely submerged as wild waves by Typhoon Chaba stormed their way into the city's coastal areas after crossing seawalls on Oct. 5, 2016. (Yonhap)

colin@yna.co.kr

scaaet@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!