(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead throughout with end of raid attempt; ADDS photo)
SEOUL, Feb. 3 (Yonhap) -- Special investigators' attempt to raid the presidential office as part of an influence-peddling probe ended in failure Friday as the office denied them entry, citing security concerns.
The probe team said it would request the acting president to use his authority to allow the search of Cheong Wa Dae.
Some 20 investigators from Independent Counsel Park Young-soo's team visited the presidential compound in the morning to secure more data ahead of a face-to-face interrogation of President Park Geun-hye, which is likely to take place later this month.
But security officials blocked their entry and the presidential office submitted a statement of disapproval in the afternoon. The investigators left the scene after a five-hour standoff.
"The probe team is planning to send an official letter to Acting President and Prime Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn -- who seems to hold greater authority than the presidential chief of staff and the chief presidential security officer who signed the statement -- explaining the inappropriateness of the disapproval and seek cooperation," the independent counsel's spokesman Lee Kyu-chul said during a regular press briefing.
"We express regret over the fact that Cheong Wa Dae turned down (the raid), even when we have minimized the location and subject of the execution of the warrant," he said.
It was the team's first attempt to raid the presidential premises since it launched the investigation in December.
State prosecutors, who handed over the case to the independent counsel last year, attempted a raid in October but were blocked by the presidential office. The office, instead, voluntarily turned over some documents requested by the prosecutors.
Under the country's law, military facilities and other areas that handle confidential information cannot be searched without approval from the person in charge of the location. Yet, the law also prohibits the person from refusing to grant such consent unless it infringes upon key national interests.
"Since the launch of the investigation, we have reviewed relevant laws, but we have come to the conclusion that there is actually no way to compel the search and seizure if the presidential office does not approve," Lee, the spokesman said.
He added the team will review whether the presidential office's rejection constitutes an obstruction of justice, adding that Cheong Wa Dae failed to elaborate how the raid could harm the national interest.
The warrant issued by the Seoul Central District Court on Thursday is valid until Dec. 28. Investigators usually ask for a search and seizure warrant that is valid for about a week, but the probe team said it sought sufficient time to accommodate the current wrangling going on between the two sides.
The presidential office and the probe team are in talks over when and how to carry out the questioning of Park, who is now awaiting the Constitutional Court's decision on her impeachment motion. She has been accused of letting her close friend Choi Soon-sil meddle in state affairs and amass personal profits using her ties to the president. Both Park and Choi have been flatly denying the allegations.
On the same day, the investigation team raided the offices of the Fair Trade Commission in the central city of Sejong and the Financial Supervisory Commission in Seoul over the controversial merger of Samsung Group's two affiliates in 2015 and other corruption allegations involving Choi.
The country's largest conglomerate is suspected of giving bribes to Choi in return for the state-run pension fund's backing of the merger between Samsung C&T Corp. and Cheil Industries Inc.
31 diabetes drugs banned for suspected carcinogen substance
Summer to be hotter this year with occasional torrential rain: weather agency
Five more foreigners deported for breaching self-isolation rules
(LEAD) KBO bans ex-major leaguer Kang Jung-ho for 1 year before potential return
(LEAD) Itaewon cluster grows to 237, six stages of transmission confirmed
S. Korea to enhance quarantine measures in greater Seoul area amid spiking cases
(LEAD) S. Korea's virus fight in trouble amid new cluster, daily infections at 2-month high
(4th LD) New virus cases at 2-month high, tougher social distancing in line for metropolitan area
2.8 magnitude quake hits southern region