Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea, U.S., Japan vow stronger defense ties against NK missiles

All Headlines 10:30 April 07, 2017

SEOUL, April 7 (Yonhap) -- South Korea agreed Friday to further strengthen trilateral military partnerships with the United States and Japan to counter North Korea's missile threats, Seoul's defense ministry said.

Working-level defense officials of the three countries held a video conference earlier in the day to discuss the North's missile launch Wednesday.

They "strongly denounced" the provocation clearly violating U.N. Security Council resolutions that ban the communist nation from firing any ballistic missile, according to the Ministry of National Defense.

They also stressed that the North's unlawful ballistic missile development program poses a serious threat to the peace and security of the peninsula and East Asia, it added.

The three sides agreed to bolster tripartite cooperation and coordination to deal with the North's saber-rattling.

The conference call was joined by Brig. Gen. Park Chul-kyun, deputy director general for international policy at the South Korean ministry; Andrew Winternitz, U.S. acting deputy assistant secretary of defense for East Asia; and Koji Kano, director for defense policy at Japan's defense ministry.

The North fired a mid-range ballistic missile from its eastern coastal area Wednesday morning, and it flew about 60 kilometers, South Korean and U.S. officials said.

lcd@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!