Go to Contents Go to Navigation

(LEAD) Seoul condemns terror attack in London

All Headlines 17:26 June 04, 2017

(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead; UPDATES with official reaction condemning the attack from the foreign ministry, minor changes throughout)

SEOUL, June 4 (Yonhap) -- South Korea strongly condemned the apparent terrorist attack in London on Sunday, calling it a barbarous act that is uncivilized and inhumane.

"We pray for those killed in the terrorist attack and offer our deepest condolences to the bereaved families of the victims and the people of Britain," Cho June-hyuck, spokesman for Seoul's foreign ministry, said in a released statement.

The attack took place late Saturday on London Bridge where a vehicle veered off the road and ran over dozens of pedestrians.

At least six people have been confirmed dead, in addition to three attacks killed, foreign media reports have said. Nearly 50 others are believed to have been injured.

The foreign ministry said no South Korean casualties have been reported so far.

Still, it has advised South Koreans traveling in London to exercise "caution."

"We strongly support Britain's efforts to root out terrorism and will continue to join such efforts by the international community under our firm belief that terrorist attacks are uncivilized, inhumane criminal acts that cannot be justified under any circumstances and must be eradicated," the ministry spokesman said.

bdk@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!