Go to Contents Go to Navigation

(2nd LD) Court issues arrest warrant for bomb blast suspect

All News 18:00 June 15, 2017

(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead, paras 2-3 with updates on court's issuance of arrest warrant; TRIMS)

SEOUL, June 15 (Yonhap) -- A Seoul court issued an arrest warrant Thursday for the suspect in a nail bomb blast that injured a university professor this week.

The Seoul Western District Court issued the writ on a 25-year-old student, identified only by his surname Kim, citing reasonable grounds for his crime and a flight risk.

Police had been holding him in custody since late Tuesday on charges of illegal use of explosives. He was arrested by the police later that day for sending a parcel bomb to the professor's office at Yonsei University in western Seoul.

The explosive, filled with small bolts in a drink tumbler placed in the parcel, went off as soon as the professor unsealed the box. He's being treated at a hospital for minor burns. Kim has admitted to his crime.

Police said Thursday that he committed the crime out of spite against the teacher who scolded him severely.

The mechanical engineering graduate told police that he decided to design the bomb after he was "told off" by the professor about his thesis. He said he held a grudge against him for some time because the professor often rebuked him severely.

"The suspect said he felt offended when he had arguments with the professor over writing the thesis and he set out to plan the crime around late May after he was once sternly rebuked by the teacher," a police officer said at a press briefing.

The police denied that there were any harsh treatment or physical assault by the professor, as the investigation has found no evidence to raise such suspicions.

"Kim (the student) mentioned in his lines about 'verbal abuse,' but we find that (what the professor said) didn't go that far," the police officer said.

The professor, also surnamed Kim, has been the suspect's supervising teacher from the start of his postgrad course, according to the police.

The professor has reportedly told the authorities that he doesn't want the student punished, adding that his reprimands were for "educational purposes."

The suspect in a recent bomb blast at Yonsei University is surrounded by reporters as the police take him to a court on June 15, 2017. (Yonhap)

elly@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!