Go to Contents Go to Navigation

N.K. missile launch was of ICBM: Pentagon

All Headlines 03:38 July 29, 2017

WASHINGTON, July 28 (Yonhap) -- North Korea's missile launch Friday was of an intercontinental ballistic missile, the Pentagon said, confirming the second such provocation in less than a month.

"The U.S. Department of Defense detected and tracked a single North Korea missile launch today at about 10:41 a.m. EDT," Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis said in statement. "We assess that this missile was an intercontinental ballistic missile, as had been expected."

The North first tested an ICBM on July 4, triggering global alarm at the faster than expected development of its nuclear and missile programs.

Friday's missile flew about 1,000 kilometers from Mupyong-ni in the northern province of Jagang before splashing into the East Sea off the eastern coast of the Korean Peninsula.

"We are working with our interagency partners on a more detailed assessment," Davis said. "The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) determined the missile launch from North Korea did not pose a threat to North America."

He reaffirmed Washington's "ironclad" commitment to the defense of its allies, including South Korea and Japan.

"We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation," the spokesman said.

hague@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!