Trump hopes inter-Korean talks lead to 'success for the world'
WASHINGTON, Jan. 10 (Yonhap) -- U.S. President Donald Trump voiced hope Wednesday that recent high-level talks between South and North Korea will lead to "success for the world."
The two Koreas met for the first time in more than two years Tuesday and agreed to hold military talks to ease tensions along their border. North Korea also agreed to send a delegation to the PyeongChang Winter Olympics in the South next month.
Trump said he had just spoken on the phone with South Korean President Moon Jae-in to discuss the meeting.
"He's very thankful for what we've done," he said at a Cabinet meeting. "They're having talks with North Korea. We'll see how that happens. He felt that the original -- that the initial talk was extremely good. Had a lot of good comment."
According to a White House release, Trump told Moon he is open to holding talks between the U.S. and North Korea "at the appropriate time, under the right circumstances." The two countries have seen an escalation of tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic missile programs, which the regime says are targeted at Washington.
Trump has taken credit for enabling the talks. He tweeted last week, "Does anybody really believe that talks and dialogue would be going on between North and South Korea right now if I wasn't firm, strong and willing to commit our total 'might' against the North."
Trump has warned the North of "fire and fury" and total destruction should it continue to threaten the U.S.
"It was so reported today that we were the ones -- without our attitude, that would have never happened," he said. "Who knows where it leads. Hopefully, it will lead to success for the world -- not just for our country, but for the world. And we'll be seeing over the next number of weeks and months what happens."
South Korea's presidential office said Moon expressed appreciation during the phone call for Trump's "strong principle and support."
hague@yna.co.kr
(END)
-
(Yonhap Interview) Fintech startup AIM aims to bring professional wealth services to ordinary investors
-
N.K. leader declares victory in fight against COVID-19: state media
-
N. Korea appears to release border dam water without prior notice: official
-
7 dead, 6 missing in heaviest rainfall in 80 years
-
(2nd LD) 7 dead, 6 missing in heaviest rainfall in 80 years
-
(Yonhap Interview) Fintech startup AIM aims to bring professional wealth services to ordinary investors
-
7 dead, 6 missing in heaviest rainfall in 80 years
-
(5th LD) 8 dead, 7 missing in record rainfall in Seoul, surrounding areas
-
N. Korea appears to release border dam water without prior notice: official
-
(LEAD) 7 dead, 6 missing in heaviest rainfall in 80 years
-
Heavy rain-caused deaths this week rise to 14; 5 go missing
-
(LEAD) Suspended ruling party chief again cries foul over leadership switch
-
(LEAD) Ex-presidential candidate Lee wins more rounds of voting for new DP leadership
-
(LEAD) N. Korea hits out at U.N. chief over remarks on denuclearization
-
(LEAD) New COVID-19 cases down for 4th day; critical cases at over 3-month high