Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Angola ends contracts with N.K. builder, orders workers to leave

All Headlines 10:36 January 30, 2018

SEOUL, Jan. 30 (Yonhap) -- Angola has terminated all its contracts with a North Korean construction company and asked its workers to leave the country in line with United Nations Security Council (UNSC) sanctions on Pyongyang.

In an implementation report recently submitted to the UNSC sanctions committee, Angola said that in November it informed the North of its decision to end the construction project contracts with the company, Mansudae Angola.

"With the termination of those contracts, the Mansudae Angola Group ceased all activities in Angola on 13 November 2017 and its workers and employees were invited to leave the national territory," Angola said in the report.

The move is in line with Resolution 2371, which was adopted by the UNSC in August last year in condemnation of the North's launch of intercontinental ballistic missiles. It includes restrictions on the overseas employment of North Korean workers.

Angola said that it has conducted a survey on the number of North Korean citizens and their immigration status, though it didn't mention the number of North Korean people staying there. It also instructed relevant agencies to ensure "strict" compliance with UNSC resolutions.

The country, which established diplomatic ties with Pyongyang in 1976, has taken steps in tandem with UNSC resolutions against the North's missile and nuclear provocations.

kokobj@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!