(ATTN: UPDATES with the unit's statement in last 4 paras)
SEOUL, July 10 (Yonhap) -- South Korean Defense Minister Song Young-moo assured the public Tuesday that an envisioned team of military prosecutors will look independently into alleged wrongdoings by the Defense Security Command (DSC), an influential unit tasked with collecting security-related intelligence and investigating anti-state activities.
The DSC reportedly considered ways to invoke a set of draconian decrees to control domestic security conditions last year, when then President Park Geun-hye was impeached.
Lawmakers voted to impeach her, bowing to weeks of massive protests highlighted by candlelight vigils, and the Constitutional Court upheld the National Assembly's decision.
The DSC is accused of having mapped out plans to curb street rallies expected to intensify in case the impeachment was rejected by the court.
The measures under consideration included the enactment of a garrison decree and a martial law to mobilize troops to maintain "social order."
It was also found to have inspected the families of people who died in the Sewol ferry sinking in 2014. Authorities' handling of the disaster caused public uproar at the time.
Related internal documents were leaked recently, containing details that were shocking to South Koreans proud of the rapid democratization and peaceful power transitions in their country. Their non-violent candlelight vigils against the Park government were internationally recognized.
Amid growing criticism of the DSC, President Moon Jae-in ordered a full probe into the allegations by an independent team of investigators.
He instructed the military to form a task force composed of military prosecutors with no Army or DSC background.
Hours later, the defense chief issued a statement expressing regret over the DSC scandal.
"In consideration of the gravity and seriousness of the case, the Ministry of National Defense plans to carry out the probe rigidly and fairly by creating an independent special investigation team separate from the (existing) military prosecution," Song said.
He said the head of the team will be appointed at the earliest possible date.
The minister pledged that he won't receive any report from the team until its probe has been completed, in order to guarantee its autonomy and that it will function without any outside pressure.
The DSC said it will sincerely cooperate with the investigation ordered by the president.
In a statement, it said the reported behavior is "very regrettable," although it occurred during when it was under the control of a former administration.
"(We) will undergo the probe with an active and responsible attitude so that clear facts can be discovered," the agency said.
It added it will continue tough reform efforts to break away from past malpractices and be reborn as a body that is strictly neutral politically with a focus on its original mission.
31 diabetes drugs banned for suspected carcinogen substance
Summer to be hotter this year with occasional torrential rain: weather agency
Five more foreigners deported for breaching self-isolation rules
(LEAD) KBO bans ex-major leaguer Kang Jung-ho for 1 year before potential return
(LEAD) Itaewon cluster grows to 237, six stages of transmission confirmed
S. Korea to enhance quarantine measures in greater Seoul area amid spiking cases
(LEAD) S. Korea's virus fight in trouble amid new cluster, daily infections at 2-month high
(4th LD) New virus cases at 2-month high, tougher social distancing in line for metropolitan area
2.8 magnitude quake hits southern region