Go to Contents Go to Navigation

Japan calls S. Korean court rulings on forced labor 'unacceptable'

Diplomacy 11:13 November 29, 2018

TOKYO, Nov. 29 (Yonhap) -- Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono said Thursday that South Korea's additional court rulings against a Japanese firm for wartime forced labor are "very regrettable and unacceptable."

In a statement, he said the Supreme Court verdicts run counter to the 1965 pact between the governments of the neighboring countries on normalizing bilateral diplomatic ties. He said all reparation issues related to Japan's 1910-45 colonial rule of Korea were settled through the accord.

Earlier in the day, a South Korean court ordered Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd to compensate 10 Koreans who worked at its factories in 1944 with no pay and a bereaved family member of another on two separate suits.

Kono said the rulings would incur "unjust disadvantages" to the Japanese company and uproot the legal foundation of friendly, cooperative relations between the two nations. He described them as a violation of international law and urged Seoul to take appropriate measures to address the problem.

Otherwise, he warned, Japan will consider "every option," including an international lawsuit.

lcd@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!