(3rd LD) S. Korea voices 'deep concern, regrets' about Japan's footage release amid radar spat
(ATTN: UPDATES in 18th para; REMOVES repeated paras)
SEOUL, Dec. 28 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's defense ministry expressed "deep concerns and regrets" Friday over Japan's release of video footage related to an ongoing military radar spat, accusing Tokyo of releasing "misleading" facts.
Japan released a 13-minute-long video clip showing the operation of its Maritime Self-Defense Force's P-1 patrol aircraft to back up its claim that a South Korean naval destroyer targeted the warplane with fire-control radar on Thursday last week.
Seoul has rejected the claim, saying that its 3,200-ton Gwanggaeto the Great destroyer did not target the plane of the partner country and that it was on a humanitarian operation to trace a North Korean ship drifting into international waters of the East Sea.
"We express deep concerns and regrets over Japan's release of the footage just a day after the two sides held a working-level video conference to explore ways to dispel mutual misunderstandings and develop cooperative ties in the defense area," Choi Hyu-soo, the ministry's spokeswoman, told reporters.
"As we have stressed, the fact remains unchanged that the Gwanggaeto the Great destroyer was on a normal rescue mission and did not operate the targeting radar against Japanese's patrol aircraft," she added.
Choi, moreover, said that the video footage cannot serve as "objective" evidence.
"We once again express regrets that Japan has given misleading facts by showing the footage, which contains its unilateral claim, when it has to consult (with the South) based on international law and accurate understanding of weapons systems," she said.
"As we have stressed, the fact remains unchanged that the Gwanggaeto the Great destroyer was on a normal rescue mission and did not operate the targeting radar against Japanese's patrol aircraft," she added.
The footage showed an operator of the aircraft communicating a message to the South Korean Navy about its alleged discovery of the destroyer's radar directed at his plane in a relatively calm voice that observers say did not reflect a sense of urgency.
"This is the Japanese Navy ... We observed that your FC (fire control) antenna is directed at us," an operator said in a message sent to the Korean navy.
"What is the purpose of your act, over?" he added without demanding that the Korean Navy stop what Tokyo has characterized as a "dangerous act."
A South Korean military official noted that the plane was flying only about 150 meters above the destroyer and around 500 meters away from its side -- a flight that could be seen as posing a threat to a foreign Navy.
"The reason why we did not lodge an immediate protest against a low-flying plane was that we were focusing on the rescue operation with the thought of it being a friendly aircraft," the official said on condition of anonymity.
"The plane capable of carrying missiles and torpedoes can pose a threat even when it operates from a distance. But it was approaching the Navy ship," he added.
Seoul officials also pointed out that Japan failed to offer a "smoking gun," namely its analysis of the radar frequency which can verify whether the radar Tokyo claims was used against it was a targeting system.
While Japan's aircraft was approaching the destroyer, the antenna of its fire-control radar, STIR 180, appears to have turned toward the plane, as the Navy tried to identify the plane with an electro-optical targeting system attached to the radar. But the radar did not send out any beam to the plane, Seoul officials have said.
The destroyer used MW-08 radar, typically mobilized for search missions, during its operation to help rescue the North Korean ship.
While expressing discomfort, Seoul also underscored that it will continue to seek a "future-oriented" partnership with Tokyo.
Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya has portrayed the incident as a "dangerous act that could have invited an unforeseen turn of events," while calling on Seoul's military to prevent any such recurrence.
Despite Seoul's denial, Tokyo has repeatedly raised the issue, sparking speculation that the Japanese government appears to be trying to divert attention from its waning public support.
sshluck@yna.co.kr
(END)
-
1
Multiple pileups on highway kill at least 5, injure over two dozens
-
2
(LEAD) Court gives jail terms to Samsung execs in accounting fraud case
-
3
S. Korean elementary students pick athlete, teacher, YouTube creator as top jobs
-
4
(3rd LD) Ultrafine dust soars to 'very bad' levels in Seoul
-
5
Police refer BTS' Jungkook to prosecutors for potential indictment
-
1
Multiple pileups on highway kill at least 5, injure over two dozens
-
2
Police refer BTS' Jungkook to prosecutors for potential indictment
-
3
(LEAD) Samsung denies selling 1 mln Galaxy Fold smartphones
-
4
(LEAD) Trump warns N. Korea could lose 'everything' with hostile acts
-
5
(3rd LD) N. Korea blasts Trump's warning, says it has nothing more to lose
-
1
Multiple pileups on highway kill at least 5, injure over two dozens
-
2
(6th LD) N. Korea conducts 'another crucial test' at satellite launch site
-
3
(3rd LD) N. Korea conducts 'another crucial test' at satellite launch site
-
4
(2nd LD) Biegun to visit Seoul ahead of N.K. year-end deadline
-
5
(LEAD) Esper says U.S. to be 'tested soon' on nuclear talks with N. Korea
