SEOUL, Jan. 24 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo on Thursday cited eight soldiers from the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) and U.N. Command (UNC) for contributing to inter-Korean peace efforts.
Among them were Maj. Gen. Michael Minihan, currently the USFK chief of staff and formerly the UNC chief of staff, and Col. Burke Hamilton, the secretary of the UNC Military Armistice Commission.
Seoul's defense ministry said that they have contributed to efforts by the two Koreas to build trust and establish a lasting peace on the peninsula by supporting the enforcement of last year's inter-Korean military agreement aimed at reducing tensions and preventing accidental clashes.
"With active cooperation and support from the UNC, we were able to implement the military agreement," Jeong said. "I hope that this year as well, the defense ministry and the UNC can maintain close cooperation."
The two Koreas' defense ministers signed the agreement during President Moon Jae-in's trip to Pyongyang for his third summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in September. It contains a series of confidence-building and arms control measures.
S. Korea mistakenly fires machine gun near border with N. Korea
S. Korea's new COVID-19 cases fall below 20,000 ahead of lifting of indoor mask mandate
(LEAD) N. Korea rejects alleged arms trading with Russia, warns of 'undesirable result'
(Yonhap Interview) NATO chief calls for stronger security ties with S. Korea to address China, other global challenges
Japanese teen romance film attracts 1 mln Korean viewers for 1st time in 21 yrs