WASHINGTON, March 18 (Yonhap) -- The U.S. Department of Defense said Monday it has identified the remains of an American soldier killed in the 1950-53 Korean War.
Army Cpl. Stephen P. Nemec, 21, of Cleveland, Ohio, was killed in action on Nov. 2, 1950, and initially buried at a United Nations military cemetery in Pyongyang, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency said in a press release.
His remains were among more than 4,000 sets transferred to Japan after the war's conclusion, and then to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii.
"No remains could be associated with Nemec," until the DPAA disinterred remains from the Honolulu cemetery in March of last year and sent them to a laboratory for analysis.
Nemec was accounted for on July 13, the agency said.
It added that there are currently 7,663 American troops that remain unaccounted for from the Korean War.
Last year, North Korea returned 55 boxes of presumed Americans' remains as part of an agreement reached by U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un at their historic summit in Singapore in June.
Another new missile highlights N.K.'s focus on conventional weapons amid nuclear talks
Trump's pressure on S. Korea raises concern about U.S. interests, alliance
Latest test indicates N. Korea's successful development of new ballistic missile: experts
Seoul-Tokyo ties tipped for deeper rift after Japan's expanded export control: experts
Trade row with Japan, another headwind for Korean economy