Go to Contents Go to Navigation

S. Korea offers military talks with N. Korea

All Headlines 11:00 March 22, 2019

SEOUL, March 22 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has proposed holding military talks with North Korea on implementing a bilateral accord signed last year, but there's no reply from Pyongyang yet, an official here said Friday.

"Recently, (we) suggested South-North military talks and are currently waiting for a response," the defense ministry official said, requesting anonymity.

Attending a National Security Council (NSC) session last week, Defense Minister Jeong Kyeong-doo reported to President Moon Jae-in that the military plans to have talks with North Korea on concrete ways to follow up on the Sept. 19 Comprehensive Military Agreement aimed at easing tensions and building mutual trust.

This file photo, taken by the joint press corps, shows a guard post in Goseong, Gangwon Province, that South Korea withdrew from the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) under an agreement with North Korea. (Yonhap)

The two Koreas implemented some of the deals in 2018, including the trial pullout of frontline guard posts, disarmament of the Joint Security Area of Panmunjom and a joint survey of waterways in the Han River estuary.

But the North has taken a lukewarm attitude this year amid a lack of progress in denuclearization talks with the United States.

lcd@yna.co.kr
(END)

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!