WASHINGTON, Nov. 7 (Yonhap) -- South Korea and the United States will conduct a combined air exercise in reduced scope later this month, the Pentagon said Thursday.
U.S. Joint Staff Vice Director Navy Rear Adm. William Byrne said at a press briefing that the combined flying event will be smaller than the Vigilant Ace exercise, which was suspended last year to support diplomatic efforts to denuclearize North Korea.
A South Korean government source revealed the plan earlier, prompting an angry response from the North, which views the allied exercises as an invasion rehearsal.
Tensions rise to perilous point in U.S.-NK nuke diplomacy
Trump's revival of military threat intended to curb N.K. provocations: experts
Shorter firing interval indicates N.K.'s super-large rocket launcher almost ready for operation: experts
Moon's New Southern Policy 2.0 launched at Busan summit with ASEAN
Is South Korea really a 'free rider' or 'major abuser' in alliance with U.S.?