(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead; ADDS more info, JCS comment in paras 2, 3)
SEOUL, March 9 (Yonhap) -- North Korea fired three unidentified projectiles into the East Sea on Monday, South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said, a week after the communist regime fired two short-range projectiles.
The projectiles were fired northeastward from areas near its eastern town of Sondok in Hamgyong Province, the JCS said in a brief release. Other details, including their type, flight range and altitude, were not immediately available.
"Our military is monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture," the JCS said.
Last Monday, the communist country fired two projectiles from a super-large multiple rocket launcher after a three-month hiatus. It was believed to be part of its artillery strike drill for the wintertime exercise.
Last year, the North test-launched missiles 13 times amid the stalled denuclearization talks with the United States.
In its New Year's Day message, Pyongyang warned it will show off a "new strategic weapon" in the near future. Experts said the "strategic weapon" may mean an advanced type of its intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) or a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM).
S. Korea braces for long virus fight as total cases top 10,000
Virus outbreak sparks concerns over 18-year-old voters' apathy toward April elections
S. Korea's COVID-19 testing capability most effective, powerful arsenal in its virus fight
S. Korea prioritizes voter safety for April elections amid coronavirus pandemic
Public chagrin grows over China's virus quarantine measures against Korean visitors