S. Korea OKs Celltrion's COVID-19 treatment for conditional use
By Kim Han-joo
SEOUL, Feb. 5 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's drug safety agency said Friday it has approved pharmaceutical giant Celltrion Inc.'s COVID-19 treatment candidate on several conditions.
The conditional marketing authorization of CT-P59, an anti-COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment candidate, marks the country's first homegrown COVID-19 treatment.
This file image, provided by South Korea's pharmaceutical giant Celltrion Inc. on Dec. 29, 2020, shows the company's anti-COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)
The Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety said CT-P59 can be administered to COVID-19 patients at higher risk, referring to people aged 60 or older, or with health conditions like heart disease, diabetes, high pressure or chronic diseases that affect the respiratory system.
The ministry also announced the authorization on the condition that Celltrion submit results of the global phase-three clinical trial.
Last month, Celltrion announced top-line results from its randomized and placebo controlled global phase-two clinical study, saying CT-P59 reduces recovery time and the chance of a severe case.
Celltrion plans to conduct a global phase-three clinical trial, a pivotal part of the study, in more than 10 countries to obtain more comprehensive safety and efficacy results of CT-P59.
The company also plans to submit an application for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and for Conditional Marketing Authorization to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in the coming months.
CT-P59 takes the form of an intravenous injection that is directly injected into the vein for 90 minutes.
khj@yna.co.kr
(END)
-
Director aims to deliver wild surprises in comedy horror 'Handsome Guys' -
(Movie Review) 'Dauren's Wedding': a serene tale of youths pursuing their dreams -
Seoul says N. Korea's next spy satellite launch likely to take 'considerable' time -
Court grants injunction filed to stop Hybe from dismissing CEO of NewJeans' label -
(LEAD) SK chairman ordered to pay record 1.38 tln won in property division in divorce
-
Director aims to deliver wild surprises in comedy horror 'Handsome Guys' -
(Movie Review) 'Dauren's Wedding': a serene tale of youths pursuing their dreams -
(LEAD) N. Korea notifies Japan of plan to launch satellite before June 4: Kyodo -
(2nd LD) S. Korean military stages air drills in response to N. Korea's planned satellite launch -
(2nd LD) N. Korea sends over 150 balloons carrying trash into S. Korea: Seoul military
-
N. Korea sends some 600 trash-carrying balloons to S. Korea from Saturday: Seoul's military -
(3rd LD) N. Korea sends some 720 more trash-carrying balloons to S. Korea, continues GPS jamming for 5 days -
(LEAD) N. Korea sends some 600 trash-carrying balloons to S. Korea from Saturday -
(2nd LD) N. Korea sends some 90 balloons carrying trash to S. Korea: Seoul's military -
Vehicle damaged by trash-carrying balloons from N. Korea