SEOUL, April 6 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's Cabinet approved a recently concluded defense cost sharing deal with the United States on Tuesday, a foreign ministry official said, noting that the government will request parliamentary consent for it at an early date.
Last month, the two countries concluded the deal, under which Seoul is to pay 1.183 trillion won (US$1.05 billion) this year, up from 1.038 trillion won in 2019, for the upkeep of the 28,500-strong U.S. Forces Korea (USFK).
The government is expected to request the National Assembly's consent for ratification of the deal, called the "Special Measures Agreement (SMA)," as early as this week.
"Our government hopes that the Assembly's consent will come as early as possible," the official told reporters on condition of anonymity.
The deal, which will last until 2025, was reached after 1 1/2 years of grueling negotiations that raised fears of a negative impact on the bilateral alliance in the face of lingering North Korean military threats.
Since 1991, Seoul has partially shouldered costs under the SMA for Korean USFK workers; the construction of military installations, such as barracks and training, educational, operational and communications facilities; and other logistical support.
Sino-U.S. tensions, tighter China-N.K. ties feared to weaken denuke efforts
Defense cost-sharing deal signals tighter, more stable S. Korea-U.S. alliance
Legislation on compensating virus-hit small biz picks up steam
Anger mounts over deepfake porn targeting Korean female celebs; more than 330,000 sign petition
Biden's pick for Asia policy likely to seek stronger regional alliances to check China