S. Korea continues attempts to call N.K. every day through Panmunjom hotline to no avail: official
SEOUL, June 9 (Yonhap) -- South Korea has been attempting to call North Korea via a cross-border communication line every morning for the past year, but there has been no response from the North, a unification ministry official said Wednesday.
Last year, the North vowed to cut off all communication lines with the South and even blew up an inter-Korean liaison office in its border city of Kaesong in anger over anti-Pyongyang propaganda leaflets coming in from the South.
Still, a communication line set up at the border village of Panmunjom remains active as it has a dial tone. The South has used the line to try to call the North at 9 a.m. every working day, but all calls have gone unanswered, the ministry official said.
"Regardless of what North Korea's response is, we continue to send a signal at 9 a.m. every day as part of the officer's basic duties and based on the view that the channel for the two Koreas must remain open," the official said.
julesyi@yna.co.kr
(END)
-
(2nd LD) Yoon meets with Ukraine's first lady Zelenska -
(2nd LD) N. Korean leader inspects military spy satellite facility: state media -
(2nd LD) Yoon rejects nursing act in his second veto -
Unionized construction workers to hold 2-day street rally in central Seoul -
Top U.S. general in S. Korea stresses U.N. Command's role for peace in Northeast Asia
-
N. Korea's 1st military spy satellite launch likely be timed with key July anniv.: experts -
Washington Declaration quells debate over S. Korea's nuclear armament but does little to contain N. Korea: experts -
Five years after its full nuke armament claim, N. Korea's threat becomes real, further complicated -
(News Focus) S. Korea grapples with calls for nuclear armament -
Talk of 'normalizing' GSOMIA raises hope, skepticism around Seoul-Tokyo ties