(ATTN: UPDATES throughout with new information; CHANGES headline; ADDS photo, byline)
By Kang Yoon-seung
SEOUL, June 5 (Yonhap) -- North Korea appears to have fired multiple ballistic missiles toward the East Sea from at least two locations Sunday, an informed source here said.
Earlier in the day, the South's military announced it had detected the North's 18th show of force this year and the third since President Yoon Suk-yeol took office on May 10 with a pledge to get tough on the recalcitrant regime.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) sent a related text message to reporters at around 9:10 a.m. without providing additional details.
The North test-fired a suspected new-type ICBM and two apparent short-range ballistic missiles into the East Sea on May 25 right after U.S. President Joe Biden's trip to Seoul and Tokyo.
South Korean and U.S. government officials said Pyongyang seems to have completed preparations for another nuclear test.
Five years after its full nuke armament claim, N. Korea's threat becomes real, further complicated
(News Focus) S. Korea grapples with calls for nuclear armament
Talk of 'normalizing' GSOMIA raises hope, skepticism around Seoul-Tokyo ties
S. Korea, U.S., Japan close ranks amid growing N.K. threats
N. Korea says month-old virus crisis under control, but skepticism lingers