2 women referred to prosecution for allegedly blackmailing late actor Lee
SEOUL, Jan. 5 (Yonhap) -- Police referred two women, including a bar hostess, to the prosecution Friday for further investigation and potential indictment on charges of blackmailing late actor Lee Sun-kyun.
The Incheon Metropolitan Police Agency referred the 29-year-old bar hostess and her 28-year-old female acquaintance, known to be a former screen actress, to the prosecution on charges of blackmailing Lee and swindling a total of 350 million won (US$266,605) out of him.
Lee, best known of his role in the Oscar-winning film "Parasite," took his own life last week while an investigation was under way into his alleged illegal drug use at the home of the hostess, who worked at a high-end bar in Seoul's Gangnam district, on multiple occasions last year.
The hostess is accused of having swindled Lee of 300 million won in September, telling Lee that "an unknown hacker was trying to divulge our relationship" and money was needed to silence the hacker.
The former actress, meanwhile, is suspected of separately extracting 50 million won from Lee in October in connection with the alleged drug use.
The two women became friends while serving prison terms together and have since remained very close, living in the same apartment building, according to police officials.
The former actress has been identified as the informant providing a tip-off on the bar hostess's alleged drug use and submitted her hair sample to the police in October.
Police suspect that the former actress initially blackmailed the bar hostess to swindle money from Lee in connection with the drug allegations but came to the police with a drug tip-off about her after the blackmailing scheme failed.
The former actress, who had minor roles in two movies produced in 2012 and 2013, had previously been convicted of fraud.
The bar hostess, with six previous drug convictions, was already standing trial on fresh drug charges.
"Police have concluded that the two women were not accomplices," a police official said without elaborating.
A former screen actress appears for a court hearing on Dec. 28, 2023, on charges of blackmailing late actor Lee Sun-kyun. (Yonhap)
pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)
-
Kim Hee-ae says Netflix's 'The Whirlwind' explores human flaws, not just politics -
Jeon Do-yeon's 'Revolver': tailor-made thriller 4 yrs in the making -
Disney+ to release latest adventure of BTS' Jungkook, Jimin next month -
BTS' Jimin lands on Billboard Hot 100 with new single -
(LEAD) Navy completes acquisition of 6 P-8A maritime patrol aircraft
-
Kim Hee-ae says Netflix's 'The Whirlwind' explores human flaws, not just politics -
Jeon Do-yeon's 'Revolver': tailor-made thriller 4 yrs in the making -
(LEAD) Yoon to travel to U.S. next week for NATO summit, Indo-Pacific Command visit -
Son Heung-min's father questioned in child abuse investigation -
(2nd LD) Police vow to speed up probe into deadly car crash
-
(LEAD) BLACKPINK's Lisa, BTS' Jimin land on Billboard Hot 100 with new singles -
(LEAD) Yoon says Russia should choose whether S. Korea or N. Korea is more important -
N. Korea's military education delegation leaves for Russia amid deepening ties -
(LEAD) Yoon arrives in Hawaii to begin U.S. trip focused on security -
Gov't to cut trainee doctor quota unless hospitals accept resignations by next Monday