Go to Contents Go to Navigation
General

Defense Reform Drive to Take Turn amid Peace Mood in Korea

15:21 July 05, 2018 replay time02:10

Watch Next


[Anchor]

The South Korean government is delaying its decision on the defense reform drive, "Defense Reform 2.0."

The Ministry of Defense will report its reform plan for the second time this month amid a dramatically changing situation surrounding the Korean Peninsula and growing calls for an overall review of the reforms.

Lee Seung-guk has more.

[Reporter]

Defense Minister Song Young-moo stressed the need for the defense reform drive during his inaugural speech in July of last year.

<Song Young-moo / Defense Minister> "Now is the time to build self-defense military forces for the next generations, helping them to decide their fates on their own. Nothing can justify the delay of our defense reform drive."

A year has passed since then, but no blueprint for the defense reform drive has been presented.

The plan was supposed to be unveiled by March. The delay is partly attributable to the ongoing conciliatory mood, which prompted the need for revisions in the plan following the U.S. and North Korea summit.

Observers said modifications would be made to the so-called three-axis system, which refers to a preemptive strike system, a South Korean-version of missile defense, and massive punishment and retaliation capabilities.

Earlier, Moon Chung-in, a special South Korean envoy on unification and diplomacy, highlighted the need for an overall review of the defense reform drive, citing changes in inter-Korean relations, such as the Panmunjon Declaration and the U.S.-North Korea talks.

The Ministry of Defense briefed the Presidential Office on its first military reform plan in May and will report its new plan by the end of this month after making changes.

A defense ministry official said, "We will finalize issues related to budget and continue discussions over matters that need back-up measures."

Neither a cut of the mandatory service period to 18 months nor a reduction of the number of troops are expected to be part of the changes.

Lee Seung-guk reporting for Yonhap News TV.

Yonhap News TV: (Inquiry on article/Report) KakaoTalk/LINE jebo23


국방개혁, 한반도 훈풍에 궤도 수정하나

[앵커]

문재인 정부 국방개혁 방안을 담은 '국방개혁 2.0'의 최종안 확정이 계속해서 미뤄지고 있습니다.

한반도 정세의 급격한 변화 속 전반적인 재검토 필요성까지 나오는 가운데 국방부는 이번 달 안에 두 번째 청와대 보고를 할 예정입니다.

이승국 기자입니다.

[기자]


송영무 국방부 장관은 지난해 7월 취임 일성으로 국방 개혁의 필요성을 강조했습니다.

<송영무 / 국방부 장관> "우리 다음 세대에게 우리의 운명을 스스로 지켜낼 수 있는 자주 국방의 강군을 만들어 물려줘야만 할 시기입니다. 더 이상 그 어떤 이유로도 국방개혁을 늦춰서는 안 될 것입니다."

하지만 취임 1년이 다가오는 지금까지 국방개혁 2.0의 최종 청사진은 공개되지 않고 있습니다.

당초 3월 중 최종안을 완성할 계획이었지만 남북ㆍ북미 정상회담 개최 등 한반도 정세가 급격하게 대화 무드로 흐르면서 일부 계획의 수정이 불가피해졌기 때문입니다.

일각에서는 국방개혁 2.0의 핵심 중 하나인 '3축 체계', 즉 선제타격과 한국형 미사일방어, 대량응징보복 체계 조기 구축 계획 등의 조정 가능성도 거론됩니다.

최근 문정인 대통령 통일외교안보 특보는 판문점 선언과 북미 정상회담 등 한반도에 상황 변화 요인이 생겼다며 국방개혁 2.0의 전반적인 재검토 필요성을 언급하기도 했습니다.

지난 5월 국방개혁 2.0 계획안을 청와대에 보고했던 국방부는 이번 달 안에 수정을 거친 국방개혁안을 다시 보고할 예정입니다.

국방부 관계자는 "예산 문제 등이 있는 만큼 확정할 부분은 확정 짓고 추가 논의가 필요한 부분은 계속 논의를 이어가야 할 것"이라고 말했습니다.

병사 복무기간을 18개월로 줄이는 방안과 장성 감축안 등은 지난 보고 때와 변동이 없을 것으로 전해졌습니다.

연합뉴스TV 이승국입니다.

연합뉴스TV 기사문의 및 제보 : 카톡/라인 jebo23

HOME TOP
Send Feedback
How can we improve?
Thanks for your feedback!